Monday, August 20, 2012

Spinach, Mushroom, and Feta Quiche

Lately I've been looking for an easy make-ahead breakfast to enjoy at home. I came across this this recipe for Spinach, Mushroom, and Feta Crustless Quiche on Pinterest. (Pinned it, Did it!) Since this is not an original recipe of mine, I encourage you to go to the Budget Bytes website for the full instructions.


My overall opinion of this quiche is that it was good, but not as stellar as I'd like. It needed a little kick up. Most of these ingredients I already have on hand. This particular day I had leftover feta, red pepper, and a few shitaki mushrooms. The only items I needed to purchase for the quiche were spinach and a full container of button mushrooms. 


Preparing the quiche was super easy. The first step is to dry the mushrooms by cooking the water out of them in a skillet. I chopped and added the red peppers into the skillet along with the mushrooms. It took me longer than the 5-7 minutes given in the directions for the skillet to appear mostly dry after the vegetables released their water. If I had to do this again, I would use a bit more salt on the mushrooms, both to add more flavor and to encourage the water out of the vegetables quicker. 

When the finished quiche came out of the oven, it looked great and was cooked perfectly! I often find I have to cook foods longer in my oven, but the author's 45 minutes at 350 did the trick. Cutting into the quiche it appeared a bit watery, but that seemed to end after the first slice was removed. (I did one thing that may have caused this, I built the quiche minus the egg mixture the night before and covered it in the refrigerator. It looks as though some condensation may have added moisture back into the vegetables over night. Otherwise, I don't have any ideas how I could have removed more water from the original recipe.)

This quiche was much lighter than I expected and went quickly in my household. I think to make it again I'd add a bit more salt and experiment by adding nutmeg, baby bella mushrooms, hot sauce, onions, or even roasted tomatoes just to give it a bit more kick and acid flavor.

Summary:
Super Easy and Reliable! Next time try:
  • Using baby bella mushrooms in place of button mushrooms
  • Adding more salt and nutmeg
  • Including onions, roasted tomatoes, and/or hot sauce for a bit more acid

No comments:

Post a Comment