Monday, August 27, 2012

La Caraquena - Falls Church, VA

Hello,
  As a wanna-be foodie I love trying new restaurants, new cuisines, and watching the food shows on tv. Today's post will bring the three of those together. As my first 'Around DC' post I am going to give you my review of La Caraquena in Falls Church, VA which I first heard of on the Gone Global episode of the Food Network's Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives.
  We ate at La Caraquena on Friday August 10, 2012 and I wrote my review the following Monday. Enjoy!

Logo
Image from http://www.lacaraquena.com/

 

This weekend we ate at La Caraquena. Our trip to La Caraquena was inspired by my finance's new found enjoyment of the Food Network's Dinners, Drive-ins, and Dives (DDD). From watching DDD we knew this was one of those hidden restaurants. It's located in a local motel, and although we'd driven past it a hundred times we'd never given it a second look before.

La Caraquena is Latin American Food and in particular mostly Venezuelan. Before we went, we noticed their website offers reservations through Open Table. Although it was 7pm on a Friday night when decided to go to La Caraquena, we had no trouble booking a table for 8pm. And we are GLAD we did. When we arrived the place looked busy, the parking lot was filled, and a few groups were waiting for tables. With our reservation we were asked to wait a few minutes, but an eager busboy saw us and cleared a table to seat us right away. After that the extent of the great service ended, luckily the food made up for it. Once seated we waited quite a while to order drinks and food. While eating we would have ordered more drinks plus waters if the waitress had stopped back, but we never had the chance. 

Now the important stuff... Food.
The food was very good. I don't know anything about Venezuelan but our entire table, including a vegetarian friend left happy. We started with the Tequenones and Platanos Fritos. Both were a great way to start the meal and the Tequenones, glorified mozzarella sticks, where very indulgent. La Caraquena is know for their Arepas so we had to try those as well. An arepa seems to be what other countries call saltenas and empanadas. We tried the Reina Pepeada which was smooth and refreshing, although to go again I'd want to try another one. Our vegetarian friend had the Perico arepa as his main course and while the arepas don't seem very large, he claims it plus the appetizers filled him up.

For the main dish I had Pabellon Criollo, which at first sounds a lot like a burrito bowl with shredded beef served on rice and beans. And to some extent it is a very nice burrito bowl, however it tasted light and fresh and I was very happy with it. My fiance had Pabellon Completo which is the Pabellon Criollo with the addition of an egg and cheese, and he left very satisfied as well.

I'd love to go back, try more food (and take some photos for this blog). I'd also hope to return with my fiance's brother who lived in Venezuela for a few months to see how this food compares to his experience. Hopefully, I'll be able to return and update this blog entry in the future!

Summary:
Slow service but the food makes up for it. Make sure to get a reservation and to try as much as you can.


No comments:

Post a Comment