Friday, October 5, 2012

Mustard Mayhem: Part II

Several weeks ago I posted Mustard Mayhem Part I, featuring Mustard Glazed Salmon and Mustard Maple Chicken recipes. Being someone who can let no leftovers go to waste, I found a new recipe combining my leftover Mustard, Maple Syrup, and Salmon into Smokey Maple-Mustard Salmon. At first I was worried this would be too similar to the mustard glazed salmon, but after a few bites my fiance assured me that both recipes deserved a place in our normal dinner rotation.
Smokey Maple Mustard Salmon
Smokey Maple-Mustard Salmon proved to be less sweet with a bit of heat. While I enjoyed the earthiness and crunch of mustard glazed salmon I have to agree that this is a great alternative when the sweetness is just too much. Plus this was SUPER EASY!

Ingredients:
    3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
    1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    4 4-ounce skinless center-cut wild-caught salmon fillets





You'll be quick to notice that I didn't use 4 4-ounce fillets, but rather one large piece of salmon. This is how my store had it, although I did have to remove the skin from it. As always, I found it difficult to remove the skin and suggest watching a youtube tutorial first if you've never removed fish skin from a fillet before.


Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with foil and coat with cooking spray.
  2. Combine mustard, maple syrup, paprika, pepper and salt in a small bowl. Place salmon fillets on the prepared baking sheet. Spread the mustard mixture evenly on the salmon. Roast until just cooked through, 8 to 12 minutes.


Lexie's instructions:
  1. Preheat over to 450°F. (This recipe was so simple I finished preparing the fish even before my over preheated)
  2. In a bowl combine all ingredients and mix.
  3.  I used a silicon basting brush and lightly brushed a layer of mustard mixture on the bottom of the fillet. I then placed the whole fillet on a baking sheet coved in foil and sprayed with cooking spray. Once the fish was on the tray, mustard side down, I brushed the rest of the mustard mixture over the top of the fillet in a thick coat.
  4. Mustard glazed fillet before being baked in the oven


  5. Because I had one large fillet I baked it for 15-17 minutes. It came out perfect and was so flaky it was difficult to cut.
The finished baked fillet

Additional Comments:
The original recipe suggests using brown mustard in lieu of dijon and using cayenne powder in place of the paprika. While I enjoyed the recipe just as it was, in the future I would try these variations to try and reduce the sweetness and kick up the heat even more.

So flaky that I had trouble cutting and moving it to the plate.
Summary:
This was super easy and will definitely be a repeat recipe in my household. Since I have a few good 'sweet' salmon recipes already, I plan to experiment slightly with this to try and make it a bit spicier.

No comments:

Post a Comment