Sunday, November 3, 2013

Cookie Table Party Favors

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania has many of its own wedding traditions; there is the 'Money Dance' and then the very beloved 'Cookie Table'. Being born and raised in Pittsburgh and hosting a wedding there we had to acknowledge this tradition. As a wink to the cookie table, we created beautiful cookie favors for our reception. To thank our guests for coming, I handmade Thank You notes which we attached to each favor.
The Cookie 'Favor' Table.
Here is how we did it;

First, a brief History of Pittsburgh Tradition 'Cookie Table'. For as long as I can remember, Pittsburgh weddings have tons of cookies made by the bride's family and friends. The cookies have never replaced the wedding cake, but are an additional dessert typically served buffet style.

When I started to plan my wedding, the cookie table seemed like an extra splurge that would take time and money. Shortly after getting engaged, friends from Pittsburgh would ask about the cookies. Every venue we visited would mention the cookie table layout and pricing. Once, while planning the table layout with our coordinator, I was asked 'And where should the cookie table go?' to which my reply of 'We aren't having a cookie table' left the staff speechless.

However, hosting my wedding in Pittsburgh, I wanted to share Pittsburgh with friends and family who would be traveling to the wedding. As we dove into the wedding details I was looking for ways to bring the character and tradition of the hometown I love to the wedding. I ordered a gross of Pickle Pins, bought Steelers tote bags, and even planned an incline ride to share with my guests. Finally we needed favors, and a nod to Pittsburgh Cookie table was a great idea to incorporate tradition in a modern way.

Before I started on the favors, I did some research on the tradition. I wanted to be able to explain to guests why the cookies had a significance and a personal meaning beyond being just a cookie. While I didn't find a definitive history of the cookie table, here are some links that get close;

My Cookie Favors:



What you need:

Tags
  • Gift tags (Michaels)
  • Rubber 'Thank You' stamp (Etsy*)
  • Ink pad (Michaels)
  • Sticker paper (Staples)
Cookies Bags
  • Cookies (Bakery)
  • Transparent party favor bags (Party City)
  • Colored cellophane -blue
  • Ribbon (Michaels)
*I bought mine from Stampersaurus Studios



TAGS:

1.)  Create the wording you want on the thank you tag and type it in a word processor. I spent some time doing this because the length of it had to be brief enough to fit on the tag and (in my case) explain the history of the Cookie Table.

I finally settled on the following:
A Pittsburgh Tradition
Having a 'cookie table' at a wedding is a long
standing Pittsburgh tradition. No one is really
sure where, how, or why the tradition started,
but for weeks leading up to the wedding the
family and friends of the couple gather in
kitchens and bake cookies for the big day.
We hope 'yunz' enjoy our take on this 
Pittsburgh Tradition.


I decided to type this using a font that looked like a typewriter to give it a more handmade feel. Additionally I bought my rubber stamp in a similar, typewriter inspired font.

2.) When you are sure the message will fit on the tags, print it on the sticker paper. (I suggest doing a few trial prints on plain white paper to make sure the size works and that you have enough room to cut them out.)
Printed message on sticker paper
Close up of printer spacing
3.) Using scalloped edge scissors, cut out the passages and stick them onto the tags.
Tag with sticker on it


4.) Using the rubber stamp and ink pad, stamp the other side of each tag with "Thank you".
Stamp 'Thank You!' on to each tag

The finished tags

FAVORS/ COOKIE BAGS:

1.) Pick out a few pretty cookies. Traditionally the bride, family, and friends would spend an afternoon making cookies. We ordered cookies from a bakery, and tried to find cookies that reflected us and the wedding colors. We picked 3 types; a star with blue sprinklers, a thumbprint with white icing, and a buckeye cookie (the groom loves peanut butter).

2.) Cut the colored cellophane into squares slightly larger than your biggest cookie. We used cellophane for two reasons; to cushion and protect the cookies and to add some more color to the finished favor.

3.) Stuff each gift bag with one of each cookie and the cellophane.
Favor bag with cookies

4.) Using the ribbon, tie each bag closed with a Thank You tag.


Our venue set up a tiered table to display the cookie favors (we also had vases for the bridesmaids bouquets and cocktail hour centerpieces on the table). Towards the end of the evening we asked the DJ to make an announcement reminding people to pick up their favors on the way out.
The Cookie Favors in the background of the cake cutting.






No comments:

Post a Comment